The right conveyor system can make your warehouse run smooth. But, to get the most out of your conveyor, you need to optimize its performance. Optimizing does not just mean buying a state-of-the-art conveyor system – because even the most expensive systems are inefficient if they are not used properly. Instead, it is all about the basics.
Your conveyor platform needs just as much maintenance as your body or even your car. To reduce downtimes and ensure it is operating at its best, you need to:
- Inspect it regularly. Take a look at the conveyor system and see if anything looks off. For example, you notice uneven wear and tear on the components, which is a sign the system is not operating like it should.
- Check the motor’s temperature often. The temperature of your conveyor’s motor can tell you if it is working too hard or being overloaded. Look for sudden spikes, which are an indication the load is too heavy or another component is forcing the motor to work double time.
- Have spare parts ready to go. You should have certain components on hand or ensure they are in-stock at all times with your local repair company. Things like a chain can go out at any moment and frequently; therefore, you may want to keep one at the warehouse. Just having the right replacement parts on-hand can limit your down time significantly.
- Do conveyor maintenance monthly. If you cannot maintain the system yourself, hire an outside company to maintain your conveyor belt monthly – especially if it is something you use daily.
- Keep it clean. A dirty system or conveyor belt can lead to significant problems later on. You do not need to wash it all of the time, but if you have sticky residue or spilled oils you should clean it off right away. Too much debris or dust buildup may lead to a friction issue.
Set Up a Conveyor Platform for Your Products
There is not a one-size-fits-all solution for conveyor platforms. Know the products you will run up and down your conveyor before it is even designed or constructed. The team at Mezzanines by Design can create a conveyor platform that is designed around the load – including heavy-duty pallet loads – so that you have a system built to last.